Thursday, June 23, 2011

Obstructions assignment

Prof. Tozer made us students pair up, interview each other, formulate 5 obstructions for our partner, and then make something in 24 hours according to the obstructions that one received from their partner.  It was a whirlwind of a day, but everyone finished and, like last fall, there were some significant discoveries.  Students who were in the doldrums seemed to catch a fresh breeze and those who were already well under sail found fertile shores.

My obstructions were the following:
-No computer
-No patterns
-Must use green and one other color
-Take three separate walks and jot down notes each time
-Wear someone else's shoes

I felt that these were not really obstructions, but were instead suggestions.  People often get the idea that I can only operate in a cage built of rulers, stencils and masking tape because they only see the hard line stuff.  My work has a wider range than that but I have to keep up with the pattern stuff until I flesh out this particular body of work.  I nevertheless faced this challenge as an excuse to let in a little indulgence to see if it could take me somewhere new.  I am not sure yet if I have found any new discoveries, but perhaps there is something in there that has a timed-release nature and it will slowly unpack itself in a couple weeks.  Anyways, here it is.  The images following the obstructions piece are in-process snaps of my final piece for the Summer session.


Untitled
Lemon juice, graphite and house paint
2011







No comments:

Post a Comment