Sunday, April 25, 2010

battling this thing



I know that I haven't blogged for a bit, but that because the painting was going through an ugly phase.  Its better now.  I agree with my collegues that the strength of the material lies in allowing a deep hand-rubbed stain serve as the shadows and sanding the surface to bring out highlights.  The white pigment stain as highlight is a bit supressive to the wood's natural beauty, which is ok in some places where concept calls for it.  However, to do that everywhere is a mistake, and causes the painting to lose its breath.  I will use the white pigment stain on the train of donkeys as a reflection of an oppressive light source.  I will also use it on the child's shirt and the small horses to speak of the concept of white-washing.

No comments:

Post a Comment